Physical Education-10-15 Minute Lessons
Physical Education Lessons that will entertain your classes/campers for 10-15 minutes.
Equipment: Pinnies or Wrist bands, 1 foam ball per group, Cones.
- This is a tag game that is best played 3 v 3, but it can be played with as many as 10 players.
- Playing area should be approximately 15 x 30 feet.
- Divide your gym into 3-5 playing areas.
- Rotate the pinnie teams every 5-7 minutes. If one team isn’t playing well, they’ll only have to play the game approximately 7 minutes.
- TIP: Use lines on your gym floor if available as opposed to cones for boundaries.
- You simply begin the game by tossing the ball into the playing area of each group.
- The team that wins the toss, will play keep away from the other team.
- If a player from the team not in possession is tagged by the ball, they must sit out.
- If the ball is intercepted the player(s’) sitting out may return to the game.
- VARIATION: If the ball hits the ground, the team loses possession and the players that are out may rejoin the game.
Time Is Running Out
Equipment: Pinnies or Wrist bands, Football flags and belts (Option: just flags or pinnies can be tucked into side of the pants).
- Divide the class into two teams.
- One team will wear the flags.
- The team without flags will attempt to remove the flags from the players with them.
- When a flag is stolen, it’s simply dropped on the floor.
- This is a timed game. Whichever team removes the flags in the shortest amount of time will win the game.
- VARIATION: When a flag is stolen, the player that stole it will wear it.
- Divide your gym into 3 or 4 playing areas.
- Whichever team has the most flags on, will win the game.
- This version can be done with 2 teams only for your class, but it also gives you the option to play 3 v 3, 4 v 4 or 5 v 5.
- Every few minutes you can rotate pinnie teams.
- TOURNAMENT OPTION: Team’s will keep track of their wins, losses and ties after a few games are completed.
- Match up undefeated teams, 1 loss teams and 2+ teams. Not only will this allow you to complete a tournament, it will allow lesser skilled teams to play each other.
6 Pass Mania
Equipment: Pinnies or Wrist bands, 1 foam ball & poly spots if you don’t have the appropriate lines painted on your floor.
- Place class into teams of 6-8 players
- Playing area should be 10X20 yards. Adjust to the size of your class and teams.
- Player with the ball may only hold it for 5 seconds.
- Only allowed to block and steal passes. No stripping.
- Once 5 passes are completed without a drop or interception, you may attempt to catch the 6th pass inside the center circle of your playing area.
- Center Circle can vary depending on the size of your playing area. Approximately 5′ radius.
- Note: The team in possession must complete a minimum of 6 passes to pass the ball in the center circle for a point. They’re allowed to pass 6+.
- Note: Defenders are allowed to go into the small circle. You may limit the amount of defenders in the small circle.
Equipment: 3 large cones, 4 foam balls, dome cones and Pinnies or Wrist bands.
- Playing area should be approximately half of a basketball court.
- 6 v 6 works the best but you can adjust according to your class size.
- Place 3 large cones with a ball (egg) on top of each cone.
- Put dome cones in a circle or rectangular formation if you don’t have basketball court lines.
- The dome cones or line will separate the defense and offense.
- Defense stays anywhere inside the dome cones protecting the eggs from falling off the cones.
- The offense may move anywhere outside of the dome cones. Offense will attempt to knock an egg off the cone with a throw of the ball.
- The offense may pass to other offensive players and move anywhere they choose as long as it’s on the outside of the dome cones.
- If the defense intercepts a pass or the egg is knocked off the cone, the defense and offense switch positions.
- When a switch takes place, the new offense may throw at the eggs as soon as they’re on the outside of the dome cones.
- VARIATION: 3 passes must take place before hitting an egg. I prefer not to add the 3 pass rule, it takes away some of the fun when a interception takes place.
Equipment: Basketballs, Pinnies and/or wrist band
- Duo’s: Place your class in pairs.
- Object of the game is to keep your ball on the basketball court without losing the bounce.
- Two ways to get out. If your ball stops bouncing or it is hit off the court by another player.
- Last team standing wins the game.
- NOTE: You don’t have to play until the last team is left, if you feel too much time has passed.
- OUT PLAYERS: They can either sit out by the nearest wall until the next round or shoot at the side baskets until the next round.
- TIP: As players are eliminated, make the playing area smaller. This is similar to Fortnite as the storm closes in.
- EXAMPLE: Start with full court, than half court, inside the paint, small circle, etc… Adjust to your gym lines.
- VARIATION: Squads with teams of 4-6 players.
- Rules are the same as Duo’s
Equipment: Soccer balls, Pinnies and/or Wrist bands
- Duo’s: Object is is to keep your ball on the basketball court. If you’re playing outside on the grass, than you can designate a playing area with lines or cones.
- You and and your partner will work as a team.
- Each player must stay with their ball. You’re not allowed to leave it in a corner and/or have your partner guard while you kick the balls of other teams.
- Players that are out, may juggle or pass the ball with a partner and/or up against a wall.
- OPTION: If a player juggles the ball 10x in a row, they’re allowed back in the game. Varies depending on age and skill level.
- All other rules are the same as fortnite basketball.
- NOTE: This game can be played with your Hockey unit. I eliminate players for high sticking during a game of Fortnite Hockey.
Hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to leave a comment or question below.