Line Dancing Steps-Beginners
In this day an age, I think most of us by now know that line dancing doesn’t mean just country music and it doesn’t mean the old square dance routine. They’re are so many different styles of line dancing steps and music out there for all ages and music preference. I will have a bunch of material on steps for beginners and intermediate. Kids and senior citizens will be able to do most of these dances. There will be a separate page with names of steps and how to perform them.
A Variety of Different Line Dances
Tip: Make the dance your own. You don’t have to be a dance instructor to teach a few line dances to kids at camp or class.
Typically 32 counts is more for beginners and 48 is in the intermediate range, but the style of dance can also affect the level of difficulty.
It’s real IMPORTANT to remember that you can change the song to a line dance that fits your taste. It has to make sense, but you would be surprised what can work and I will get into that in due time.
Tip: It’s always a good idea to put your strongest dancer closest to each of your 4 walls. This way when you face a new wall, your class will have a strong leader to follow.
Tip: Most of my boy campers/students are not interested, because the younger kids don’t want to hold hands, but if you let them know there won’t be any hand holding, it will put their mind at ease. Many of the boys will act like they’re not interested, but most of them will love it.
Song: Sway by Michael Bouble
Note: 32 count, 4 wall dance, latin cha cha moving to rt on start of vocals
Left Mambo, hold, right mambo, hold
- 1-4 rock out to left side on left, recover weight back on right, step left next to right, hold
- 5-8 rock out to right side on right, recover weight onto left, step right, next to left, hold
- Optional: claps on the hold counts 4 & 8
Left Toe Strut, right toe strut, left rocking chair
- 1-4 Step forward onto left toe, bring down left heel, step forward onto right toe, brin down right heel
- 5-8 Rock forward onto left foot, recover weight back in place onto right foot, rock back onto left foot, recover weight forward in place onto right foot.
Grapevine left, touch, grapevine right touch
- 1-4 Step to left on left foot, step behind with right foot, step to left on left foot, touch right toe next to left
- 5-8 Step to right on right foot, step behind with left foot, step to right on right foot, touch left ote next to right
- Optional: Click fingers on touches 4 & 8
Shuffle left, rock step, 1/4 monterey turn right
- 1-2 Step left on left foot, step right next to let, step left on left foot
- 3-4 Rock back onto right foot behind left, recover weight onto left
- 5-8 Touch right toe out to right side, hold 1/4 turn to right closing next to left putting weight onto right foot, hold
Dance: EZ Havana
CLICK HERE to see a video of the Havana Line Dance
Song: Havana by Camila Cabello
Note: 32 Count with 2 walls.
- Right side rock recover, cha cha cha.
- Left side rock recover, cha cha cha.
- Right forward, rock recover, right back block step, cha cha cha.
- Left block step, cha cha cha, right block step, cha cha cha.
- Left foot back, recover right, left foot forward , cha cha cha.
- Two pivot 1/4 turns. NOTE: In the video they perform a full turn + a 1/4 which is more difficult.
- Step right with right foot, slide left foot to right, cha cha cha.
- Step right with right foot, slide left foot to right, cha cha cha.
Dance: The Hustle
Song: The Hustle by Van McCoy
Note: Even 32 count dance, 4 wall dance
- Tap right foot forward tow times, tap right foot behind two times (4 counts)
- Tap right foot forward and then back then to side, then kick forward as you 1/4 turn to left ( 4 counts)
- Walk back three steps(right, left, right) and tap left foot(4 counts)
- walk up three steps(left, right, left) and tap right foot ( 4 counts)
- grapevine to right then grapevine left ( 8 counts)
- Hop forward ( with both feet) and hold, then hop backward with both feet and hold, ( 4 counts)
- Hop forward with both feet then hop backward then click heels together two times ( 4 counts)
Dance: Electric Slide
Song: Electric slide by Marcia Griffith
Note: 4 Wall dance
- 1-4 Right side slide/ left together 3x left touch clap
- 5-8 left side slide/ right together 3x right touch clap
- 1-2 right back, left back
- 3-4 right back, left heel touch forward
- 5-6 left forward, right toe touch behind
- 7-8 right back, left heel touch forward
- 1-2 left forward, left 1/4 pivot turn-r brush
Option: Step would be to do a right vine, left touch and clap, then a left vine right touch and clap.
Dance: Tush Push
Song: Red hot salsa by Dave Sheriff
Note: 4 wall dance. 40 counts
- 1-2 Right heel touch forward, right toe touch in
- 3-4 Right heel touch forward 2x
- 5-6 Hop left heel touch forward, left toe touch in
- 7-8 Left heel touch forward 2x
- 1 hop right heel touch forward
- 2 hop left heel touch forward
- 3 Hop right heel touch forward
- 4 clap
- 5-6 right hip shake 2x
- 7-8 left hip shake 2x
- 1-4 tush push 2x
- 1 right hip shake ( bend knees)
- 2 left hip shake (straighten knees up)
- 3-4 repeat steps 1-2
- 5-8 right shuffle forward, left forward , right back
- 1-4 left shuffle back, right back, left forward
- 5-6 right shuffle forward
- 7-8 Left forward, right 1/2 break turn right step
- 1-2 Left Shuffle forward
- 3-4 Right forward, left 1/4 break turn-left step
- 5-6 right forward, left 1/2 break turn-left step
- 7-8 Right stomp, clap
Note: An alternate step would be to do a right side step , left touch, left side step , right touch at an 45 degree angle forward and back.
Dance: Fools and beer (cheer for kids)
Song: Shake your groove thing by earth wind and fire
Notes: 32 count, 4 wall dance, moving to the left 1 tag hustle rhythm
Step forward touch 2x, step back touch 2x
- 1-2 step right forward touch left next to right
- 3-4 step left forward touch right next to left
- 5-6 step back right touch left next to right
- 7-8 step back let touch right next to left
Vine right with heel touch, vine left with heel touch
- 1-2 step right to side, step left behind
- 3-4 step right to side, touch left heel forward
- 5-6 step left to side, step right behind left
- 7-8 step left to side, touch right heel forward
Step kick, step kick, step lock, scuff
- 1-2 step right forward, kick left
- 3-4 step left forward , kick right
- 5-6 step right forward, slide left behind right
- 7-8 step right forward , scuff left heel
Walk back left right left right, 1/4 left touch, bumps
- 1-2 walk back left, walk back right
- 3-4 walk back left, walk back right
- 5-6 turning 1/4 left , step back left, touch right next to left
- 7-8 bump hips right, left
NOTE: At the end of the 1st 32 counts ONLY, ADD 4 extra hip bumps… you can do 2 right and 2 left or mix it up.
Song: Fireball by Pitbull
Note: 32 count, 1 wall
- Grapevine right, grapevine left.
- Lean backward on right foot and shake shake.
- Lean forward on left foot and shake shake.
- Repeat shake shake back and forward.
- Walk forward right diagonal, walk forward left diagonal.
- Walk forward right diagonal, 2 fast heel clicks.
- Walk backward left diagonal, walk backward right diagonal.
- Walk backward left diagonal, 2 fast heel clicks.
FIREBALL DANCE VIDEO. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN THE ABOVE VERSION.
Dance: Ole Ola
Song: Ole’ (The Fiesta Mix) by Azucar Moreno
Note: Even 8 count dance, 32 count dance, 4 walls. rock step and mambo, transfer of weight forward and back to back foot.
Coaster step, step lead foot back, step other foot beside lead step, step lead forward ( counts 1 and 2 transfer of weight from lead leg back to lead leg.
Skate step: Foot slides diagonally out from starting point like skating ( 1 count)
- Mambo right forward, mambo left foot back ( 4 counts)
- side rock step to right step right behind left, step left foot slightly to left then step right across left 2x (4 counts)
- step left foot to left and do 1/4 turn to left (little hip circle with turn) then shuffle left forward counts 3 and 4) ( 4 counts)
- rock step right forward step 1/4 turn to right with right foot steping to right, then turn 1/4 to right (staying on ball of foot) hitch left foot tap then continue with turn 1/2 (staying on ball of foot) all the way back to where you were and stomp left foot ( 4 counts)
- coaster step then skate left then right ( 4 counts)
- shuffle left then right ( 4 counts)
- rock step left forward step 1/4 turn to left with left foot then turn 1/4 to left (staying on ball of foot) hitch right foot tap then continue with turn 1/2 ( staying on ball of foot) all the way back to where you were stomp right foot ( 4 counts)
- kick right foot forward, touch left foot to left side and back, touch right foot ot right side quick (2x) (4 counts)
Dance: The Hop
Song: At the Hop by Danny & The Juniors
Note: Even 8 count dance, 48 counts total. 4 wall dance moving to the right.
- Step right diagonal grapevine forward- stop and hold for count 4
- step left diagonal grapevine forward- stop and hold for count 4
- Step right forward and pivot 1’2 to left take a step forward with right foot and hold for count 4.
- Step left/right run run forward and hold for count 4.
- Step right diagonal grapevine forward- Stop and hold for count 4.
- Step left diagonal grapevine forward- stop and hold for count 4.
- Step right forward and pivot 1/2 to left take a step forward with right foot and hold for count 4.
- Fast steps left/right/left run run run forward and hold count 4.
- While turning to right step right pause, left pause, right pause, left pause ending up up at wall to right of starting wall. ( 8 counts)
- Toe heel struts forward right left right left ( 8 counts)
Dance: Jingle Bell Rock
Song: Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms
Note: Even 8 count dance, 40 counts total. 4 wall dance moving to the right.
- Quick shuffle left forward, stomp right, stomp left 4 counts
- Quick shuffle right forward, stomp left, stomp right 4 counts
- Step back diagonal, left then right, 4 counts
- Step back diagonal left then right. 4 counts
- Step to left and tap right toe behind left foot
- Step to right and tap left toe behind right foot. 4 counts
- Grapevine Left. 4 counts
- Step to right and tap left toe behind left foot.
- Step left and tap right toe behind right foot. 4 counts
- Grapevine right( end with 1/4 turn to right) 4 counts.
Dance: C’mon C’mon
Song: Tell me how you feel by Joy Enriques
Notes: Even 8 count dance. 4 wall dance moving to right side of starting wall.
- Right foot put out toe then put donw heel, left foot put out toe then put down heel ( 4 counts)
- Right pivot to back wall, shuffle step forward 2x )(4 counts)
- Quickly tap left heel right toe 2x ( 4 counts)
- Turn to right and wiggle to right , left, then two quick right and right foot kick outs ( 4 counts)
- Step touch right step touch left ( 4 counts)
- Right foot quick stomps 3x, padre to right , left lead leg ( same time turn 1/4 to left) ( 4 counts)
- Rock step right foot to left, sache to right ( 4 counts)
- Rock step left foot to right side, then turn to left 1/2 way while pointing right foot out ( 4 counts)
More dancing coming soon! Please feel free to leave a comment or question below.