About Coach Lisbona
- Hi everyone and welcome to How To Start A Multi Sports Camp website. As a teacher and a father of four, I was always looking for ways to increase my income. If you’re a teacher and/or coach you know that our salaries are not all that high. I’ve been a Elementary Physical Education Teacher for 22 years, middle school soccer coach in the fall for 21 years, high school wrestling coach in the winter for 18 years and I run a intramural program in the spring. I even run games at birthday parties for extra income. Many years ago I worked at a health food store during the Summer making $10 an hour. Most teachers are unemployed in the Summer, not on Vacation.
- When I first started my camp 18 years ago, it was strictly a soccer camp and I made more money than the health food store job, but it still wasn’t enough. It’s not as though I reinvented the wheel because there are soccer camps all over the place, so I needed to do something different to bring in more revenue. By my third year running the soccer camp, I quit the health food job and my camp revenue increased even more. I soon realized I reached my limit with soccer and needed something more. Not Everyone plays soccer, so you’ll only get so many and on top of that you’ll have to compete with soccer camps that may have a larger facility than you. Multi-Sports allows you to attract a larger group of children.
- There are camps out there that cost parents thousands and thousands of dollars. They have a pool, buses, trips, overnights etc… On the other side of things you have camps that specialize in one sport such as soccer, basketball, football etc… and they will charge you $200+ for two hours. Plenty of parents can’t afford to do either of those camps and I’m going to teach you how to run a successful camp differently than the two options above and still make an AWESOME PROFIT.
A little Story About How My Multi-Sport Idea came about.
- I was never the greatest student. At my best I was a “B” student growing up, but I stumbled my way through college and found Physical Education after changing my major 3 times. Once I graduated and hired as a teacher, I realized shortly after that my teaching income alone wasn’t going to go very far. It was fine at first as a single young man, but not when you add a mortgage, family, college etc…
- Like most teachers, you look for coaching jobs, tutoring and part-time work that may have nothing to do with teaching. I felt like I reached my income limit until the camp idea came into play. As I said earlier my camp was only a Soccer Camp, but there is a lot of competition and not all kids play soccer. The change to a Multi-Sports camp increased my revenue immensely. I know for a fact that I offer things at my camp that the surrounding camps don’t and that is something I will teach you along the way.
- I’ve been so lucky to have so many good coaches growing up and coaches that I coach with as an adult. It also helps to have a Father that was in the business for 30+ years. Much of what I do now is from things I learned from them and I molded what I learned into my own style.
- The spectrum of different areas that I learned from the mentors and coaches varies greatly. It could’ve simply been a coaching comment to get a team pumped. A tip on how to organize a class and manage your time well. Behind the scene work to make a camp run smooth etc…
- I’ve had so much success and now it’s time to give back!
Just Because You Won today Doesn’t Mean You Got Better.
- I use this phrase in coaching, teaching and life. Just because your camp went well today doesn’t mean you can’t make it better tomorrow.
- My goal is to help you build the most successful Multi-Sports camp possible!
ANYONE CAN START A SUMMER CAMP, BUT I WOULD ASSUME THAT MOST PEOPLE THAT DO THIS ARE EITHER A TEACHER, COACH,COUNSELOR, PARENT/COACH, RECREATION DIRECTOR AND/OR SOMEONE KNOWN IN TOWN THAT IS INVOLVED IN A LOT OF COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES. IF YOU’RE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE YOU ARE SITTING ON A GOLD MINE!
This is what I’m fighting for. What are you fighting for?
If you ever need a hand or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or EMAIL ME HERE. Also, I’m open to advice, tips and game ideas. You can never stop learning!
All the best,
Michael J. Lisbona